Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Coconut Fruit Salad

I'm not really into preparing fruit salads for my family. Our snack of choice is usually fruit and we eat so much of it during the day that I'm usually more concerned with dressing up vegetables in salads instead of fruit. But there are occasions where I want to accessorize my fruit with a little more, something impressive for dinner guests. This recipe is easy, unique, and tastes impressive for such little effort.

Yes, my picture is not very glamorous. I was packing kids' lunches late at night and this is the best photo I could get.

Coconut Fruit Salad

2-3 C. Sliced Strawberries
1-2 C. Blueberries
3 Apples – Peeled, Cored and Sliced
1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Can of Coconut Milk
1-2 Tbs. powdered sugar
1/2 C. Coconut flakes (optional)
1/2 cup mini marshmallows (a fun option for kids)

First, chill the can of coconut milk for at least 12 hours. This allows the creamier part of the milk to separate.

When you're ready to prepare your salad, begin by slicing the strawberries, bananas, and apples.  Place the apples and bananas in a bowl with 1 cup of water and the lemon juice. This prevents browning of the fruit. Remove the fruit from the lemon juice mixture before adding it to the salad.

To make the whipped coconut milk: Remove the can from the refrigerator, open and pour off most of the clear liquid that has accumulated. Transfer the remaining coconut milk to a mixing bowl and beat on medium-high for about 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating until the coconut cream is thick and fluffy. (It won't form peaks but it will thicken.)

Toss the whipped coconut milk into the fruit, adding the shredded coconut (and marshmallows if you want to make this more desirable to kids) and gently mix.

*My notes: I forgot to chill the coconut milk ahead of time so I put it in the freezer for half hour. It didn't quite separate so I ended up pouring the entire can of coconut milk in and whipping it. It turned out just fine!

Who Dished it first? This recipe was inspired by Daily Dish Recipes with alterations made by me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...