Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Teriyaki Pork-and-Mango Stir-Fry


It's mango season here in Hawai'i!

Last night as my family walked down the street in the cool evening weather we noticed many neighbor friends outside with their 15 foot-long poles with metal cages on the ends to pick ripe mangoes. I don't have a tree but my family and I regularly snack on dried mango and my husband loves "mango nectar" juice purchased at the store. (Hopefully a tree of our own is in the plan for this summer.)

A neighbor friend has a large mango tree and I think her family has eaten mangoes every night for the past week. (She was the one who found and shared this recipe.) I don't usually think of Asian dishes as including tropical fruit but my husband lived in Taiwan and he has corrected my assumptions. He tells me that often he came home to find large sacks of mangoes hanging on his front door.  In my husband's opinion this tropical/Asian dish was a 9.5 out of 10.


Teriyaki Pork-and-Mango Stir-Fry

1 pound boneless pork chops
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small head napa cabbage, cored and thinly sliced crosswise (about 7 cups)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons store-bought teriyaki sauce
2 mangoes, cut into matchsticks
2 cups bean sprouts

On a work surface, place a pork chop between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and, using a meat mallet, pound 1/4 inch thick; repeat with the remaining chops. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick strips. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour and salt; add the pork and toss.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Shake off any excess flour from the pork and arrange in a single layer in the skillet. Cook until browned and crisp on one side, about 3 minutes; turn and cook, stirring, until browned all over, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the cabbage to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the teriyaki sauce, then toss with the pork and mangoes. Top with the bean sprouts.

Who Dished it first? Rachael Ray
My Notes: This definitely needed additional salt to taste on the finished product.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...