Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cooking with "Everything Beans"

I have never been inspired to eat black bean burgers. Beans in place of delicious beef or turkey? That just didn't sound appetizing to me. It's not that I don't like black beans. I actually love black beans. But a mushy patty made from beans inside a hamburger bun? The following burger recipe definitely changed my perspective.

The story behind trying to eat more meatless bean dishes comes from my inspiring sister-in-law, Rebecca.  My family and I enjoy eating beans but I've never made a point of specifically planning a menu with meatless bean meals like Rebecca does. Recently I had the opportunity to review The Everything Bean Book, a digitalized cookbook (eBook). In it I found recipes for white bean alfredo, chickpea wraps, and among other great recipes this fabulous Mexican black bean burger. These toppings plus the additional crunch of tortilla chips really make this burger desirable. (I have a few patties frozen and I'm thinking this is going to be my lunch today!)

Mexican Black Bean Burger (patty) recipe

How I served my burger:
Top with salsa, avocado slices, tortillas chips (adding this crunch is a must!) and my cilantro lime sour cream.

Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
1/2 cup sour cream (may substitute with greek yogurt)
2 Tablespoons minced cilantro
Juice of half a lime
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients and spread on your black bean burger bun.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...