Friday, November 18, 2011

Nerd Ice Cream Sandwiches

We still have a lot of Halloween candy in our house. I handed out 900+ pieces one by one to the swarm of kids at my door and I'm not exaggerating. My kids even donated some of their candy loot to the pot but we still have candy to get rid of. So, since I can't make these sweets go away as fast as I want we'll just eat and enjoy.

My kids were so excited when I told them what I made for dessert. Nerd ice cream sandwiches! Chocolate, ice cream, and candy all in one. What kid wouldn't be happy to eat one of these? My kids were all too willing to pull out their Halloween candy, contribute the Nerds, and roll away.

I liked the tart flavor and crunch the Nerds add to the cookie sandwich. The cookies held together when squished but I thought they were somewhat dry. The ice cream covered the dryness of the cookie but eaten alone (I snuck a bite fresh from the oven) they were not as enjoyable. Possibly they're meant to be dry so they don't crumble under the pressure (lame joke) or I might have over-baked them. Either way, the dough is fabulously rich in bittersweet chocolate flavor and we enjoyed our sweet treat.


Nerd Ice Cream Sandwiches

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
3 cups vanilla ice cream
1 1/2 cups tiny tart candies such as Nerds

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
Drop 24 slightly rounded Tbsps of dough onto the baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until firm around the egdes but slightly soft in the middle, 9 to 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Form sandwiches with 2 cookies and 1/4 cup ice cream. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes or up to 1 day. Before serving, place the candies in a bowl and roll the edge of the ice cream in the candies to coat.

Womens Day (October 17, 2011 magazine)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...