Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chicken Curry

Photobucket
Let me first say that we have been searching for a GOOD curry recipe for a long while. We have tried many recipes and not been satisfied...until today!! Finally a chicken curry you can trust. My kids had seconds of this dish! I think the secret to the sauce was making it from scratch without store bought curry concoctions.

Unfortunately I don't remember the site I got this recipe from. I copied the recipe over a month ago but put off making it figuring I would be disappointed once again. Now that it's been so long I don't remember who to praise for this delicious dish.

Chicken Curry with Tomatoes

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
4 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 cup water
2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Steamed basmati rice, for serving

1. In a Dutch oven or enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil, then add the onion and cook until nicely browned around the edges, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and black pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add the salt, tomato and water and cook over medium- low heat, stirring constantly, until the tomato is softened. Add the chicken and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
2. Add the coconut milk and simmer, partially covered, for another 15 minutes, or until the gravy thickens and the chicken is cooked. Add the cinnamon and cloves and simmer another minute.
3. Remove the chicken from the heat and garnish with the cilantro. Serve with steamed basmati rice.

*Jayne's notes: I liked the addition of tomatoes in this recipe. It gave a slightly sweet flavor. I had to add a bit of salt to my dish once on my plate because I thought it a little bland. Next time I think I'll add more salt and cayenne (just a touch...not too much to prevent the kiddos from liking the dish). Lastly, I personally LOVE cilantro so I really enjoyed (lots of) this garnish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...